Reply to post: Re: Not a *buntu fan, but more power to 'em!

Ubuntu 'weaponised' to cure NHS of its addiction to Microsoft Windows

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Not a *buntu fan, but more power to 'em!

I think it's a result of older workers who insist on hard copy gradually retiring and being replaced by people who've grown up reading off screens.

In my place of work, it rather comes from the older workers growing ever more cynical over the "social compliance" needed to keep the "screen gawkers" and "SO-ME unicorns" from blowing a gasket.

Why should we pick up the slack and get on the bad side of manglement by performing our work on paper, using our heads even, while everyone else is "forced into" taking their 20, 30, 40% time off "networking", "communicating" ... often while waiting for that 6x10^6 EUR (and counting) god-damn piece of crap 4D integration tool, that a burning bush said we cannot work without, to load the model (45 minutes, if it works) or be nursed into some rickety performance once again by IT support (when it doesn't)..

Meting the Expected Performance* is plenty good enough these days. Blaming the tool is perfect, because the tool was procured by The Board, therefore we must follow the rule of the tool - or someone will have egg-sies on their face. And that won't do.

*)

Modern leadership, same as Outdated Leadership:

John Maynard Keynes, “A sound banker, alas, is not one who foresees danger and avoids it, but one who, when he is ruined, is ruined in a conventional way along with his fellows, so that no one can really blame him.” Original quotation from “The Consequences to the Banks of the Collapse of Money Values”, 1931.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon