Reply to post: Compromising passengers safety

America throws down gauntlet: Accept extra security checks or don't carry laptops on flights

the Jim bloke

Compromising passengers safety

As a potential passenger I want an assurance from the airline that they will not deliberately expose me to life threatening hazards or theft or damage to my property.

Lithium battery fires are known events, which are not controllable in a cargo hold. Valuable possessions beyond my physical presence are subject to theft, interference and mishandling without any meaningful defense.

If someone is planning to destroy an airplane mid-flight then they will either be an incompetent nutter - underpants bomber, or have their shit together and be smarter than the fast food industry rejects staffing the screening posts.

Ideally our benevolent big brother will know everything going on and stifle any acts of terrorism before they develop beyond mild grumbling about the poor quality of reality TV, with airport security screening to catch the ones who evade the monitoring. But a sufficiently devious psychopath - or gullible fool, may get through and smuggle an undetectable device onto a plane.

This is unlikely.

Fires in modern digital equipment - Does happen.

Checked baggage broken, stolen - unavoidable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon