Reply to post: Re: Yawn..... M$, Yawn Linux ooohhhhhhhhh lovely

Microsoft admits to disabling third-party antivirus code if Win 10 doesn't like it

Kiwi

Re: Yawn..... M$, Yawn Linux ooohhhhhhhhh lovely

On Windows forums, Windows issues are invariably greeted with "it must be a virus" or some other inane comment, but when I wade through the dross I can normally find something sensible.

I've seen MS professionals (whatever they call them on MS's own sites) getting abusive to users who insist they have a particular problem when said MS Pro claims such a problem is impossible. Only fix was a reinstall in the end. See people abused because "my system won't boot, just has a flashing cursor" isn't a suitable response to the advice "just go to system restore to fix it". And all sorts of abuse of "clueless noobs" on there.

I've seen great people on Linux forums go to huge lengths to help someone out with some obscure problem.

And I've seen the opposite. A MS support tech calling from the UK on her own dime because she too was pissed at the "you're lying, this problem cannot happen" response from her peers, and some Linux people being downright dicks to an honest question from a newbie.

As to the question "why would you want to do that", sometimes the question is asked as in "what are you trying to achieve" - so then they can give you the best answer. I've asked the same on a regular basis, "why do you want to do such-and-such"; by understanding their need/desire I have a greater chance to give them advice the works. Course, there are those who say it in a less-than-helpful sense, but I've seen those in Windows places as well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon