Reply to post: Re: Migrating to Microsoft's cloud: What they won't tell you, what you need to know

Migrating to Microsoft's cloud: What they won't tell you, what you need to know

jtaylor

Re: Migrating to Microsoft's cloud: What they won't tell you, what you need to know

word_merchant wrote: "What they won't tell you - it's shit, unreliable, insecure and woefully expensive"

I'm curious to learn more. Can you give examples?

In my admittedly limited experience, Hosted Exchange is just what it says: Exchange Server, with all the protocols that includes, Outlook Web Access, and all the groupware features like contact lists, shared mailboxes (slick integration), hosted and shared calendars, etc.

It's been pretty reliable. Not perfect, but better than typical VPS.

Security I'm especially curious about, because it uses Azure AD as a back-end, HTTPS for Web, and TLS for email connections. What I've seen looks better than the usual hosted VPS (smaller attack surface, for one), but there's a lot that I don't know.

Cost is $5/month per Hosted Exchange mailbox. Shared mailboxes are free up to 50GB. For a small company, this is very competitive with a hosted VPS. Anything other than fully hosted requires IT Person With Clue, which is not cheap.

When I recommend a solution to a client, that's my name and reputation on the line. I hope you'll share what you know.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon