Reply to post: Re: Awesome?

You're all too skeptical of super-duper self-driving cars, apparently

Old one

Re: Awesome?

As someone well past that 65 delineation, I love the concept and progress of autonomous vehicles. BUT I also have a number of peers who are distrusting detractors that fear that which they do not understand. I love the "driver-less" tractor trailers for product distribution between warehouses. Part of the issue will always be the "what if" scenarios that a semi rig can encounter where the designated travel plan is shot by unforeseen obstacles. Other side of the coin is the question of jobs. Should semi rigs require a "qualified driver" to be on-board IF the computer runs up against a non programmed scenario or an component failure.

I went from a bag phone (1990) to the various stages of smart phones that I could log into my work computer without being "in the office" or even in the country for work. Today the only cell I have is an old out of service one carried as I travel because it will still call 911. So from the new cutting edge to nothing over 25+ yrs.

I haven't seen where any autonomous vehicles have a relinquish mode to allow a "driver" to enjoy driving when they want to. My daily driver is a 76 Ford Bronco and in 97*F temp yesterday its lack of AC and shall I say other creature comforts make me wish for a long few minutes a new autonomous vehicles that I could have sat back for an hour and surfed the web. But just like my 69 CJ 4spd Stang I WANT to drive many times or I would not still own these vehicles. I bought the 69 Stang in June of 1969 and it was/is the raw definition of muscle car. Nearly 50 yrs later there are more comfortable, faster, reliable modern vehicles but none will ever have THAT raw driver edge that is now so computer controlled.

Change happens - technology almost always advances...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon