Reply to post: Re: Frantic self-justification

Who's behind the Kodi TV streaming stick crackdown?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Frantic self-justification

While I dont disagree with the general notion of pirating <anything> hurts the system over all, several of your assumptions are way off.

1st Sky's selection is crap and there service is more crap they rarely if ever have the show I want to watch and half the time when they do its buy only e.g. that 80 ... PS its actually more like 150 but whatever that sub fee that just gets you into the store and a selection of crap you didn't want pluss a few bits that you did want. Sky is a major part of the problem or rather is a manifestation of the problem.

Region locked content & exclusive rights e.g. where in you cant get the show by any given means because Sky has the rights but you cant get it from Sky because its not showing now or at all. Then then there is the just basic issues with Sky services, the hardware ... which you have to have to use it, is junk cobled together mostly open sources code by the way running on a hacked up nix platform, that abomination is reason alone that I wont use Sky ... I might bother with them if at least it was reliable but no its a turd.

Now Amazon, Google Play, Netflix, etc. ... yes all solid offerings that can more than easily fill the need ... however that exclusive rights problem that in many EU cases Skye owns erodes the available content on these services to ... you guessed it a wad of crap. ... Now for buying a movie absolutly Amazon or Google Play they have a wide selection that you can buy but you cant subscribe to Google Play in many places thanks typically to Sky and the sub you can get is widdled down to the worst possible selection.

So no the main reason people that stream that I know is that they cant get the content they want by any other means. Kodi, torrents, etc. isn't the first thing they try in fact its the last thing they try and only reluctantly after getting frustrated with every other attempt at finding a given show, event, movie, etc.

The world has changed, people move around so the notion of geolocking/region locking is dead yet a lot of the media industry still does this and this only exists (in most cases) to enable exclusive access e.g. so Sky can be the only one to pipe something into you.

Now the notion of exclusive access, region locked, etc. etc. enables price fixing, price discrimination, and other generally illigal or at least imoral antitrust issues. ... legally this doesn't apply to media in this context but the reason these topics are illigal (its bad for the public and is somethign the public doesn't want) is why you see Kodi, torrent, etc. with such a large strong community.

Fortunetly a fix is in sight, we are seeing less and less of the exclusive distribution crap, we are seeing less and less of the region locked crap, we are seeing more and more direct/streamed distribution channels (legit, questionable and out right pirat happy) ... once the industry catches up and accepts that an Amarican, living in Japan at the moment with an account they created while in UK expects to be able to watch the Brazilian show there friends told them about is a normal thing and stops feeding creatures like Sky in favor of more widely available channels like Google Play, Amazon, NetFlix, etc people (in the mass majority) will use thouse paid services over the more hack, less stable and potentially illigal solutions they feel they must resort to now. This will also mean more competition for these services which will help keep the prices from getting stupid like they did for cable TV for example where the very same ... you get it from us or not at all allowed them to rediculesly inflate prices... still does in a lot of places.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon