Reply to post: FFS

Ta-ta, security: Bungling Tata devs leaked banks' code on public GitHub repo, says IT bloke

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

FFS

Posting anonymously as I used to work on the Scotiabank account through IBM and have seen things (the horror, the horror...)

First of all, there is a quality issue with bringing outsourced teams from another place (currently, it's India) be that through IBM Canada or directly by the bank as part of diversity hiring needs, etc.

This is not a racist statement - it's fact.

Outsourced teams will and do cut corners to save money - and having worked in India for many years, there is a malaise there - a level of mid-management there that act like feudal lords and treat the programmers / architects / tech resources as serfs. Accordingly, turnover is higher than the US/Canada (can't speak of the UK as I haven't worked there) which results in candidates who aren't well trained because they've been hired in a hurried fashion to be seat-fillers or because they haven't been brought upto speed yet.

As some of you already may have experienced, hiring on the basis of diversity does not get the best candidate on a technical level. Nepotism does thrive - human nature, tribalism, etc.

Work ethics based on place of origin also come into play - some follow the West Point 'duty, honor, country' creed, others not so much.

Just like any other nationality, I've worked with some excellent folks from India and some people who were so bad, I wanted to slit my wrists to avoid the sheer stupidity.

Someone used the right acronym to describe that mid-management bunch - PHB's - can't agree more.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm rather concerned with what this bunch of devs did - and more so at their not getting it as a big deal.

Even worse is the head in the sand attitude of the big banks.

CIBC & Scotia are both terrible when it comes to things like this. And guess what, they're the ones who outsource a lot more by comparison.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon