Reply to post: Two things..

Donald Trumped: Comey says Prez is a liar – and admits he's a leaker

Kiwi

Two things..

We have Trump and his lawyers saying he's innocent, and it's the other guy who is to blame, and then we have this "

James Comey better hope that there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!

I was bullied often at school. I remember more than one telling me I'd "better hope no one finds out" about their actions. Trump's tweet reminds me very much of that, in tone and wording.

But if it's the other side, if it is Trump who has the recordings, then why not release them? He's clearly not one for keeping quiet about anything he thinks might make him look good or might sound "heroic", no matter how much it actually backfires. That he hasn't released anything suggests strongly to me that Trump is afraid Comey has the recordings, and Trump is trying to use threats/intimidation to keep Comey from releasing them.

If there are recordings that Comey has, then either they back up Trumps claims, back up Comey's claims, or suggest some middle ground where they each interpreted the other's wording/intention wrongly. If there were to show Trump is innocent then he has nothing to fear and everything to gain by their release (even if to an appropriate investigator who can release the relevant bits to the public while protecting anything that should be classified). If, on the other hand, Trump is worried about their content, then given his past form we can expect denials that attempt to point blame to the other person, threats, oddball tweets at odd hours (modern day version of someone screaming out stuff hysterically), threats of legal action and attempts to have Comey arrested or worse. Trumps actions remind me very much of a bully or other type of abusive person when someone is standing up to them and/or threatening to bring their hidden acts into public. He comes across to me as a man who thought he had power over someone, found out that he doesn't scare that person, and now fears he is about to be shown for who he truly is and "brought to justice" for his crimes. Like the child-beater who points the finger at the kids and blames their behaviour when the cops come knocking.

I've had people record conversations, and I've recorded a few myself. Those who know they have nothing to hide happily accept and often even welcome the recording (others feel uneasy buy accept), but those who have something to hide will attempt to stop the recording being done, even to the point of legal threats (if you're recording a conversation openly (other than in a court room and maybe one or two other places) you're perfectly legally OK in NZ and have every right to).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon