Reply to post: Re: Highly amusing to the cognosenti but utterly baffling to the rest of us.

At the feet of the Great Monad, or, How the functional programming craze plays out

Robot W

Re: Highly amusing to the cognosenti but utterly baffling to the rest of us.

I think that Functional Programming means different things to different people. I don't go in for the really abstract stuff.

As someone who has 20+ years of successfully writing professional C in embedded systems, then my view of functional programming is that it is generally a better way to more quickly write programs that are easier to understand and have far fewer problems.

If I try and sum it up in a nutshell, then it feels to me that imperative programming is generally about telling the computer *how* to manipulate some data, but functional programming is more about telling the computer *what* manipulation you want it to perform on the data.

You might think that this makes functional programs really slow, but its speed is comparable to imperative programs, e.g. A reasonable Scala program is generally within 3 times the speed of highly optimised C. And, by highly optimised, I mean that most professional C programmers would not choose to write the code that way, and other programmers needing to maintain it wouldn't be thanking them for it either.

Further, it is also my belief that it makes me a better C programmer because I start to think about things in different ways, and I try to write my code differently, so that it doesn't just work today, but so that it will work reliably (even when extended) in 20 years time.

Finally, I see that the best techniques of functional programming are making their way into main stream languages like Java, and the new crop of languages like Swift, Rust, etc are adopting even more functional principals, just because it makes programmers lives easier.

Perhaps google for "Programming in Scala" by Martin Odersky, Lex Spoon, and Bill Venners. The first edition is freely available online, and gives some access into functional programming from one of the people who is very much at the forefront of modern program language design ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon