Reply to post:

Enterprise patching... is patchy, survey finds

FlamingDeath Silver badge

"More than half (53 per cent) of endpoints are running an out-of-date version of Flash, leaving them wide open to various vulnerabilities."

Hmm, I wonder why that could be... It wouldn't have anything to with the sloppy coding we have come to expect from Adobe, you know, the kind of sloppy coding that FAILS in removing the old vulnerable version after updating...

"And one in eight (13 per cent) endpoints are running an unsupported version of the Internet Explorer browser."

This is most likely because many organisations use some citrix style VPN fudge or similar, that its system requirements demands an older version of MSIE, and won't work otherwise.

"Duo Security reports that the picture becomes even bleaker when the spotlight is put on the healthcare sector. Three quarters of all healthcare organisations are running Windows 7 – higher than the industry average and likely a factor in why the NHS fared so badly during the recent WannaCrypt ransomware attack. A minority (3 per cent) of all endpoints are still running totally unsupported Windows XP. ®"

I'm gonna step out on a limb here, It was mostly NHS southeast that was affected, the NHS in general is a political target right now for privatisation, people say conspiracy theory alot, another word for conspiracy, is collaboration, and people are collaborating all the time, usually incentivised by money, throw secret societies in the mix and who knows what is possible.

Most of the infections were actually in Russia, and I think we are seeing another "Stuxnet"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/12/world/europe/wannacry-ransomware-map.html?_r=0

NHS southeast got hosed because I suspect they purposely didnt patch, and it being caught in the collateral damage was part of the plan.

Not saying I am right on all those points, but definitely a gut feeling of mine

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon