Reply to post: Re: ...and then take & make payments appropriately.

Google to give 6 months' warning for 2018 Chrome adblockalypse – report

Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: ...and then take & make payments appropriately.

Has "served-up web page site content" been contested legally? (What You See Is Not What You've Got due to the ability of the Web Designer to detect the device being used to view content, and to serve up appropriate content).

Let's say a person browsing made payment for something and then claimed that they did not agree to the contract as seen on the page served up to them. I can imagine an expert witness for the defence running rings around this thorny question, simply by pulling apart the CSS and Javascript. If your browser had NoScript or similar installed, and part of the contractual agreement were obfuscated by javascript gobbledegook, I'm sure the case would fail as not being clear as to what the agreement was.

The Ad-Blockers just need to go the "extra step" of blocking some element of the "If you block the following content, you will be charged" agreement. If payment is taken then your defence is that you didn't see the contractual agreement. The Ad-Blocker could even mischievously press the I Agree button for you.

Sounds silly, but that's how silly it is to stick sticking plaster over sticking plaster in the first instance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon