Reply to post: "but I don't suppose you use a "cheap" inkjet"

Lexmark patent racket busted by Supremes

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"but I don't suppose you use a "cheap" inkjet"

Of course. I'm actually using a Canon Pixma Pro 10 - the 1 at 30Kg was unluckily too heavy and large for my setup - and even larger models are justified only if you print much more than I do. The price for print falls into a range which is acceptable to me (factoring the paper price also). I may also print using an external lab for larger prints - but a pro lab which works *with* you to deliver what you need (and not just a standard one from 8bit sRGB JPEGs), is still not cheap. Of course, is one is OK with standard labs results, and doesn't need much control on the final print, there are cheaper alternatives.

IMHO today generic inkjets with some photo capabilities cannot really yield acceptable results unless your expectations are quite low, and "large" (A4, <G>) prints are not cheap.

Generic inkjets are mostly OK only for people who print rarely (despite the ink clogging issues on some models), need color, and are scared by laser consumable prices, and printer size/weight - although some monochromatic models are quite small.

Probably refillable tanks will become more common (Canon released its models too), although people should be aware those inks may be less steadfast than others (I've seen tests), not an issue for documents with a brief life. They could at least solve the "landfill printer" issue, when it's cheaper to buy a new printer than consumables. I'm environment aware, and stay away from such approach, but for someone it is tempting.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon