Reply to post: Re: hurting pirates

EU axes geo-blocking: Upsets studios, delights consumers

Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: hurting pirates

@ Fibbles

You are assuming we don't pay for what we pirate. As I pointed out in my post, we are by definition "pirates" when we format shift; therefore all that we paid for is "pirated".

It is certainly true that I don't pay for all that I "pirate" but that's because ever so much that I download isn't worth paying for. Storing in my system even is a cost that's excessive, so it's deleted. Much of this material is not available to listen to any other reasonable way. (My tastes are somewhat eclectic). I discover, through "piracy" what's worth spending my hard-earned on. I'm not about to purchase something I've never heard before.

FWIW there are ~2,500 titles in my collection almost all of them purchased. One of those titles, The Bach Collection consists of more than 120 CDs. Quite a few titles are duplicates: vinyl, CD, different covers... The people with the "bullshit excuses" are companies like Sony and their secret Rootkit that voided the warranty on my quite expensive CD player.

FWIW the music industry pissed me off so much with their bullshit that I now only purchase mainstream music second-hand. I do buy new from musicians selling their own material; they're cheaper and I know where the money is going.

BTW, it's considered quite bad form to invent quotes: "We're all format shifters. Honest, gov!" I never said that!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon