Reply to post: Where will this end?

US laptops-on-planes ban may extend to flights from ALL nations

ivorb
FAIL

Where will this end?

You beat me to the point. Further, US security theatre tends to be just that - a theatre. On at least three occasions my wife has told me to stop nagging, sailed through US 'security' and had penknives, liquids, etc picked up at the European connecting airport (LHR, AMS, VIE-means nothing to me).

Perhaps the current USA forgets that the original motivation for this charade was Sept 11, 2001 - when all the hijacked planes were US flagged carriers flying domestic routes.

Oh and if you want to avoid half the screening, just buy a business class ticket. I doubt if the extra cost is going to deter a person with nasty intentions.

And yes, on occasions when an upgrade has been available on the cheap ($100-$150), I've travelled business class and used the laptop for coding, report writing, and similar work. If travelling on my dime, it's saves having to take time off (vacation / holiday) and has been worth the money.

And if you start banning laptops, where do you draw the line? A big tablet (e.g. iPad "pro" is of comparable size to a small laptop and could pack a fair punch if the battery was replaced with an explosive.

I'll stop before I get tagged for 'questioning'.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon