Reply to post: Re: To all the 'experts' here

DJI: Register your drones or no more cool flying vids for you

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: To all the 'experts' here

I'm a microlight pilot and drones do cause me some concern. I have to comply with a stack of regulations, registration, compulsory insurance and pass a shit load of exams before I could fly. I'm concerned that teenage kids can just buy these things and fly them without any training or real comeback. How many kids would even know how high their drone is, let alone keep it below the regulatory 400 feet?

Some of these drones are quite big and could easily bring down an airliner if it smashed the cockpit windscreen or went into an engine. If one hit me while I'm flying my microlight I could be knocked unconscious or killed if one hit me in the face, or if it went through the prop force me to do an emergency landing with possible risk to people on the ground - when you've got no power, your landing choices are limited. A stricken airliner has even less choices and pose an even bigger risk to people on the ground.

Sooner or later someone is going to do something really stupid with a drone and kill a number of people. Then the CAA will either bring in compulsory registration or ban them outright. A few reckless kids will likely spoil the fun for all other drone operators.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon