Reply to post: Re: Am I the only one appalled that an attack like WannaCry can happen to the NHS?

Project Gollum: Because NHS Caring means NHS Sharing

Alister

Re: Am I the only one appalled that an attack like WannaCry can happen to the NHS?

The bottom line is I had a much needed Doctors appointment cancelled last week. And part of me feels like I should feel sorry for them and take part in the public anger against hackers. But another part of me feels annoyed I lost that appointment because someone didn't know how to do back-ups.

I think you are making an unwarranted assumption. The actual number of systems affected by the ransomware was quite small, and most were simply shut down as a precaution, and to limit the spread of the infection, which was absolutely the right thing to do at the time.

This was obviously a difficult decision, but in balancing the ability to honour appointments for a day against the likely impact of a ransomware infection, the answer is clear. There is no indication that GP surgeries do not have sufficient valid backups available.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon