Reply to post:

Faking incontinence and other ways to scare off tech support scammers

Jerry G.

I play them along for a while... I go through the motions of their crap and misinformation about my system until the point where they want me to download a public type of remote computer entry program. At this point I pretend to be installing it. I keep telling them I get an administrator rights error not allowing the program to install. This gets the Scammer very annoyed. Some of them ask me to see if I can call the administrator and tell them I have a call from MS and there is a serious problem with the computer. I pretend to be dialing the admin person on my other phone. I act like I am talking. I then come back and tell the Scammer they want me to bring the computer back to where I work. Most of the time the Scammer hangs up right away! This is after wasting at least an hour of their time, and being entertained at how they work.

What gets rid of them very quickly, is right away you tell them your computer is on Linux, and you have no admin rights. Tell them it is a company computer that does not belong to you and there is no local email installed. The Scammer will usually hang up on you right away.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon