Reply to post: Re: I'm in the mood for being a downvote magnet

Blighty's buying another 17 F-35s, confirms the American government

Jason Hindle

Re: I'm in the mood for being a downvote magnet

Disappointed by the lack of downvotes, I'll address a random selection of responses.

“And isn't wet, and hasn't overheated.”

So no different to any other stealth aircraft? My limited understanding of stealth operations is that there's a lot more to them than simply fielding something with reduced visibility. At the moment, I'm suspecting Britain's aircraft will more likely be hobbled more by lack of access to munitions and sensor packages.

“Yes it is. But when did that ever actually work? (Other than finding out by need or accident that 'hey, look, it was only designed to do this, but it can also do that'?)”

By accident? F15. By design? F18. Two of the most successful combat aircraft ever…. British defence thinking tends to be hobbled by the MoD’s (and top brass’s) love of one trick ponies.

“These were never intended as air superiority fighters(*). That's the F22's job along with enemy ground defence supression. The "cheaper" F35 was supposed to be doing ground support work.”

So you reckon it's just a big Harrier replacement, with questionable stealth, and designed for exactly the same missions?

“The ordnance loadout is pathetic, the range is crap and the turnaround times are realistically going to be days once they begin to see real-world use.”

I'm disappointed they didn't get the A, for the RAF, but the B looks reasonable. I understand it can carry a couple of AMRAMs plus a couple of small bombs, internally.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon