Reply to post: Re: Listening to Vinyl is a bit like eating at a posh restaurant

Bye bye MP3: You sucked the life out of music. But vinyl is just as warped

Kiwi
Windows

Re: Listening to Vinyl is a bit like eating at a posh restaurant

You don't need to eat at a posh restaurant - you can have beans on toast or spaghetti bolognese at home and functionally, you are fed.

However, if you go to a nice restaurant, you take the time to look the part, go there, eat the best food and make an occasion of it.

I've been to some expensive restaurants. Total waste of time. The food is only of quality to tossers and posers. The quality is poor, the taste is bland, and the quantity matches the lack of everything else. I can do much better with what my cat leaves in the litterbox than most restaurants. I would rather a home-cooked meal than any restaurant crap.

And no wonder. If shoutyfreak on TV is anything to go by, then the people who prepare your food spend much of their time being belittled and yelled at by some worthless piece of crap who makes up for his severe inferiority complex by screaming at others. Food made with love and patience, whether the love is for the food or the company, is much more enjoyable than food made in places like that, regardless of the floorscrapings "quality ingredients".

Part of the vinyl experience is the fact that you are taking more time to engage with it. You only bought the best music on vinyl, as anything else is wasting space.

Nope. We brought what was available. Ok, small rural town so getting the latest Motorhead etc was not going to be easy at the best of times. I still have some of that vinyl as well, and still have many more cassettes. Vinyl was fragile, needed a hell of a lot of care and effort to get the best from it. "Engage with it"? It was a fucking nightmare most of the time, especially when "Caught somewhere in time" became "caught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groocaught in that groo". Like fancy restaurants, the artwork was great but the experience was shit. Or soon became shit.

Like eating out, you are devoting yourself to the experience, rather than having it on in the background. You can even physically see how the music is happening.

I am a bass guitarist, and spent much of my high-school years in the school's metal/rock band and also did at least 3 church services each week into my mid 20's, and a hell of a lot of other performing. That is "seeing how the music is happening". What you're talking about is the musical equivalent of nascar racing.. Round and round and round and round round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round....

This changes your self and attitude, so that you appreciate the music more (I doubt it's all the reasons audiophiles give).

It's also rubbish. My "engagement" with music, other than when I was playing it live, is to have spent time and money on speakers over the years, and a bit on the amps. In my life I've probably spent a total of maybe 50 bucks on cables, but that's because a) a friend gave me some decent quality wire and b) I have enough brains to know that the chemistry of the wire means nothing for carrying signal, what is important that 1) the wire is able to carry sufficient current to drive the speakers (and each channel is roughly the same gauge - using different gauges of wire may cause issues) and 2) the wire is sufficiently shielded from interference (whether speaker wire or source->amp wires). And time finding a mix of stuff I really really like and stuff that is background noise. Enjoyable background noise but if I don't consciously hear it I don't miss it. It makes the stuff I like more enjoyable. Like the dinner plates poorer families use for special occasions - it's because they're only used on special occasions that makes the occasion that much more enjoyable.

I listen to music at least 12 hours each and every day.

Why would you want to "change your self and attitude" you ask? well, if you're asking that, then you don't need to listen to music anyway.

You know my musical life-story (well some of it). I'm still asking. Why? Because I want to see if you can justify that line of elitist bullshit. No? Course you can't. Deep down you know it's another crap line.

Why vinyl? The same reason you occasionally eat out, buy a BMW instead of a Kia.

When I eat out, I'd rather get drivethrough McD's and take it to a nice beach or some other beautiful spot with someone who's company I enjoy than go and sit with a bunch of toffs. I'd rather be able to take my music with me than have the bulk of vinyl - and I can do without the clicks and pops and scratches and that special groovy feeling that special groovy feeling that special groovy feeling that special groovy feeling that special groovy feeling that special groovy feeling that special groovy feeling that special groovy feeling that special groovy feeling that special groovy feeling that special groovy feeling<scraaaape> sorry stuck needle again. Oh, and BMW's? Absolute shit, built only for upthemselves retards with more dollars than sense, people who value themselves by trying to show off to other people, rather than by people who know quality. A good mate owned one for a little while, and while the price was high the build quality and materials quality was way beyond shit. I have a 1995 elcheapo Mazda wago. It's done near 400,000k. It's had the radiator replaced, but nothing else on the engine bar for plugs and belts. I do have to repair one of the window winders now as well. My mate's 2005 bmw? Twice he had to replace the driver's door handle because the metal it was made from was absolutely crap metal, prone to fracturing. The handle was hard to come by, as they were in high demand. The fancy electronic displays crapped out over and over, at expensive prices till he decided not to bother. Wipers that were automatic, and generally defaulted to "off" even when he needed them on. Same for the lights. An utterly shit-ly built pile of refuse that he paid a lot for, and sold for nearly what he paid.

Music? Get the best speakers you can afford (I would kill for some nice electrostatic ones TBH, but what I have is good enough for now), put whatever you can spare into a decent amp, and use decent quality source material where you can. I have music that is recorded at a low quality that is more enjoyable than stuff that was recorded higher, because that person playing that average sounding bass riff in that song performed by amateurs having a bit of a laugh on stage? That was me, and it was an awesome time.

(Sorry to those whose bandwidth for the month was just used up :) )

Glue-sniffer icon? How I think audiophiles really spend their time....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon