Reply to post: Re: Good link - but . . .

Bye bye MP3: You sucked the life out of music. But vinyl is just as warped

simpfeld

Re: Good link - but . . .

If you read further though it says "There are rarely, if ever, any ultrasonic frequencies for vinyl" "cutting equipment typically includes a low-pass filter to avoid overheating the cutting head with ultrasonic frequencies, however the commonly found audio information up to 23-24 kHz is still present at significant amplitude on vinyl records.".

The validity of this audio "data" is still very disputed (often thought to be mainly distortion).

The question can this be reproduced on my speakers and can I hear any of this? I don't believe anyone has shown the ability to hear this.

I ran a test here as a quick test: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php

I can hear 16 kHz on my office equipment maybe my equipment but well below Nyquist at CD sampling rates (20 kHz is usual).

Going on about high frequencies mainly looks like grasping at straws with Vinyl. I'm happy to lose this for the ability to lose things I definitely can hear clicks, noise. And the worst of the worst often to master vinyl low frequencies have to be in mono (before you say it, above the frequency of your mono sub-woofer, so yes you are losing something).

The valid reasons to like Vinyl are artwork, you like the sound (but lets face facts it's a distortion you like, plain and simple) and (the only valid sound one) to avoid the loudness war on certain recordings. Though your best bet to preserve this would be to rip the record first time to FLAC and never play it again. This will always sound better than the original vinyl played many times. Sample it to capture the above 20K stuff if you must.

The thing that annoys me about vinyl enthusiasts is it's just anti-science. Crap like double-blind experiments doesn't apply to audio! The ultrasonics add a feel (without any evidence or proof). I'm afraid this sort of thinking leads to global warming denial, vaccines cause autism, the size of an inauguration crowds etc

But back to audio. If you put an analogue signal into a ADC and back out to DAC it will be identical (not just similar but identical) if it's in the sampled Nyquist range (forgetting about the inaudible noise floor). No analogue medium can do this or get near to this. The maths is very well understood.

The talk reference on hydrogenaud.io is really good about the myths about digital audio. He demos the above. https://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon