Reply to post:

nbn™ needs copper to build FTTN: another 15,000 km of it

Pompous Git Silver badge

"You need to get a life oh Pompous one. The FTTP product might not be perfect (and probably far from it) but is at least reasonably current technology. The rest is rubbish built for the last century."
As it happens, it was part of the ALP NBN Plan for us to be put on FW that you describe as "rubbish built for the last century". The Minister for Communications at the time we were told this was to be the case was one Stephen Conroy who as far as I can tell was never in the NLP. What we weren't told was that fully a third of my neighbours weren't even to get FW as there's no signal, so they are inflicted with satellite. We do however get to keep our telephones on copper strung on poles that could easily have carried fibre. Being an ALP initiative, presumably you think this was the "best plan" for us. I don't and would have much preferred FTTP.

FWIW, for many years I was secretary of the local branch of the ALP. However, I don't let this get in the way of my preferring the best technological solutions, nor do I hate anyone who is not a LNP supporter.

I also note that part of the ALP NBN Plan was to remove the privately installed FTTP at Dover (the first such in Australia before ADSL even; it was for ISDN) with what you describe as "rubbish built for the last century".

The big selling points of FTTP were the capacity for speeds of 1 Gbps and reliability. I fail to see either in the real world. YMMV.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon