Reply to post:

nbn™ needs copper to build FTTN: another 15,000 km of it

Tim99 Silver badge
FAIL

@mathew42

Yes, I am sure. We have fibre to our central comms room (which also houses all of the VIOP traffic) and VDSL2 from the comms room to each of our homes (typically 30-150 meters) so far we have about 140 homes connected. The VOIP with a compulsory monitored personal alarm is another $18.

I am pretty certain that the drop is not down to just our wholesaler but is probably their supplier iiNet, who seem to have gone downmarket since their takeover by TPG. I am not sure what wholesale arrangements iiNet have, but I remember there were problems with Internode a while back.

I am fairly confident that the residents of our 140 units are not all streaming HD on Stan/NetFlix to multiple TVs and playing WoW at the same time, so I would imagine that our wholesaler has purchase capacity at normal contention ratios. - At most we are talking about 140 @ 100Mbps x $38 divided by their contention ratio. I have only seen the 18Mbps figure a few times for perhaps half an hour, so that might indicate that they are working on a ratio of (at most) 5:1 which is much better than industry standards.

I suspect that the Labor plan was not ideal, but the Liberals could not bear the thought of all of that money not going to Malcolm's mates, as well as (perhaps) instructions from Murdoch to delay/reduce the rollout to protect NewsCorp and Foxtel revenues...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon