Reply to post:

Nutanix, IBM hug each other in Power pity party

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"Power users also see the elasticity and pay-as-you-go models falling from public clouds and want that in their own data centres."

Yeah, and how is Nutanix going to help them with that? It's not like you can tell Nutanix, or any other hardware provider, four months after buying the boxes that you would like to elastically scale the workload down to zero and get 86% of the large amount of cash you paid up front back. So you can't elastically scale down, at all. You can sort of, kind of scale up by turning on cores after you buy the box... but that isn't at all elastic (you have to place calls, make purchases of permanent hardware, possibly get a PO for more hardware depending on how much you want to scale up, etc). It's not like Nutanix can scale to whatever amount of resource is needed with no intervention because your ecommerce site, or whatever, just had a massive, unexpected three hour spike in traffic due to some viral demand. I am not familiar with any model in which you can buy, for instance, 200 cores from Nutanix or the like for an hour, pay a hundred bucks and then turn them off and walk away.

Whenever I hear "cloud" and "in your own data center", I know it is about to make no sense. That is like saying "have an electrical utility plant in your own house."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon