Reply to post: Lack of fall back systems

Microsoft to spooks: WannaCrypt was inevitable, quit hoarding

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Lack of fall back systems

I do wonder how many extra problems are due to people being too dependent on the IT systems and some disruption may be just due to lack of alternative systems in place (always good to have a fall back system)

e.g. I rang my GP practice today to arrange a repeat prescription, during the 4 hour window the surgery allows for repeats.

"No we can't do that" said the receptionist, "due to all the NHS IT problems, systems being down"

"OK", I said, "Please can you write my details down on paper, file it, and then arrange the repeat when things are working OK.

"No"...

"But it just means I will keep having to waste your and my time ringing you each day to see if it's possible whereas if you took my details now it would save us both time"

"No."

The default pharmacy for prescriptions for that practice is attached to the surgery, so it's not as if huge complexities there.

Though of course, GP receptionist do have a reputation for being the most unhelpful "service industry" workers in the universe, so probably love the system down excuse.

AC due to misc personal details health stuff

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon