Reply to post: Re: Forks and Choice

OpenWRT and LEDE agree on Linux-for-routers peace plan

Len

Re: Forks and Choice

I was active in the OpenWRT community but sort of zoned out about a year before the split so am not completely on top of it. From what I gather from the dev mailinglist, however, is that is not necessarily an issue in the code itself that was a reason for the fork. I get the sense that it was more of a context / project management thing. A chunk of developers wanted to use more modern dev tools (I believe moving to GitHub for instance), faster dev cycles etc. but the lead maintainer of OpenWRT wasn't too keen on it.

Considering the unhappy coders were a fairly large chunk of all active coders, a fork was easily done and it looks as if LEDE very quickly overtook OpenWRT as the more active one. An OpenOffice/LibreOffice analogy comes to mind.

I just hope they take the best bits of both projects (I wouldn't have minded if they kept the LEDE name but I get the resistance to dropping the well-recognised OpenWRT name). The LEDE website is a lot better than OpenWRT's one if you ask me and I hope they use this opportunity to sort out all their documentation and hardware compatibility tables as they were always all over the place, lots of redundancies etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon