Reply to post: Re: I don't agree with many

Dark-web pedo jailed after FBI and co use vid trick to beat privacy tech

Kiwi

Re: I don't agree with many

If anyone hurts a child the perps rights are to my mind terminated.

To what level do you take that though? My parents didn't provide me with a "safe" home where I could talk with them about the issues I was facing. In their efforts to raise me right according to the values they held, they actually accidentally created a situation where I was afraid to seek help for my desires.

I had many of my classmates trying to "rectify" my abhorrent behaviour (being gay if you hadn't already seen me mention it) with regular beatings. Should their rights have been terminated? Or mine, when I occasionally retaliated (especially when one who thought how I acted when faced with 10 of them would be the same as when one caught me alone - it wasn't). What about the teachers who thought it their duty to strap/cane the "evil little faggot" so they could "beat it out of me?" You know, "spare the rod, spoil the child" and so on ideas? Even with a couple of them who truly believed what they were doing in my best interests? They believed they were acting in my best interests, and doing the right thing, and protecting society from such a sick pervert as myself, yet the result was harm. Should their rights be terminated?

What about people who write about how sick and twisted and evil and un-redeemable and so on paedos are, when those words are read by someone in their early teens who is confused about their sexuality - maybe they're 15 and attracted to a 12yo they know, and are scared that they're becoming a paedo. I know some of these people go on to take their lives, some go into drugs, some go on to offend against kids, and some get over it. The words they read can cause (or exacerbate) a lot of harm - those who unthinkingly and stupidly wrote those words have done harm (even if accidentally and through the desire to stop other harm) - should their "rights be terminated"?

What about parents who let a kid watch a movie that has a lasting effect on them" Or has a pet put down and doesn't take the time to be sure the child understands why (a guy I knew was bitten by the family dog when he was 6 or 7, the parents had the dog put down the next day, the kid for years afterwards wouldn't let another animal near him in case the animal accidentally scratched him and was put down as a result - was some time before the parents explained that the dog attacked other people that day as well)? Or the parent who takes their eyes off a kid for a few seconds and the kid gets badly injured or poisoned or some other harm?

I'm not saying paedos are well-intentioned in how they treat children. Many probably are so long as they keep their desires in check and show kindness, not penises to the child in question. What I'm saying is there are a lot of ways kids can get severely fucked up simply by someone making a mistake. Paedo's have a low recidivism rate with treatment, one of the lowest classes of crimes. This is not to defend them, but to say get the treatment available to them early so those who might offend can actually get whatever it is that stops them offending done before they hurt a child. And treat them like any other offender. The person who murders a child's parents gets a better time in prison than the person who takes a picture of the child naked in the changing rooms and never has any further interaction with the child, yet when the one who causes life-long trauma to a child (or other people) beats up the who "only" looks at pictures...

As I said last night, I have some empathy because of what I went through growing up gay in a conservative area in an era before it was tolerated, let alone accepted. None of the crap that was tried helped, but 30 years on and the scars are still pretty deep.

Try helping instead of going for the torture devices. They're not a viable treatment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon