Reply to post: I always wondered...

User loses half of a CD-ROM in his boss's PC

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I always wondered...

Why they didn't invent a CD drive that read the disks by essentially photocopying them.<br>Use the read laser like a copy machine's reader, scan the disk, create an ISO of the "image", & then spit out the disk once done.<br>That way you then have a copy of the disk, can mount it as if it were a floppy, & store the image for later reuse.<br>But then I realize I had answered my own question as to why NOT, because then we'd all become "filthy pirates" trading ISO's amongst ourselves, friends, family, coworkers, etc, & the sales of disks would flush itself down the toilet.<br>But I thought the fact that the disk never needed spinning up meant that it would be safer from a kinetic energy remaining as inertia to be launched as shrapnel point of view; it would mean the laser would move but only once per disk, which would mean it could take about the same time to read the disk but do an infinitely better job of it; & our original disks would last far longer from the lack of constant abuse.<br>Manufacturer's could then save money using a grade of media that would otherwise have been insufficient for a spinning drive, since the drive didn't spin anything & it (the disk) only needed to handle being fat fingered by whomever slipped it in the drive.<br>Man, I wish I didn't have these crazy ideas, they make me wonder why they were never made real...<br>Someone hand me my frog pills, I feel another fit coming on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon