Reply to post: Re: Clickbait headline

Welsh Linux Mint terror nerd jailed for 8 years

JCitizen
Holmes

Re: Clickbait headline

@Prst. V. Jelzt

I can think of one reason - using that technique, he could use libraries and/or web cafes to run his system in boot mode, completely separated from the host machine. This would negate needing to always have a hardware device with whatever OS would be installed. It would make him device independent. Not a 'bad' thought for a terrorist.

Personally, I'd want a separate device to save the files to, except that partitioning may help wrangle most malware variants during the write session. I'm not sure if any of these devices have a feature with one non writable partition, and other write capable partitions or not. That would be the best option, if it is possible.

If he were caught with an original computing device, there would be an even more permanent trail for authorities to back track his movements and activities; I assume using it as a "Live CD" would automatically remove all files and traces of web surfing, except for only those things saved into a file location.

This technique is also used by folks interested in having a safe method of online banking. Each boot session is clean as a whistle because malware and tracking cookies, ect. cannot survive the next boot session. To save files would require temporarily removing the USB and switching the write protect on and off as required for saving documents, and ect.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon