Reply to post:

'I feel violated': Engineer who pointed out traffic signals flaw fined for 'unlicensed engineering'

Frank Cullinane

Police are 148 years investigating road crashes since 1869. There were 5 road user fatalities every hour with 600 injuries in the USA in 2016. This is almost 7,000 more fatalities and 777,000 more injuries than recorded in 2009.

Mats Jarlstrom attempted to correct the mistake which remained in the Engineering Manual for over 50 years which led to many of these fatalities and injuries. In addition, this mistake resulted in many drivers unnecessarily receiving penalty points and fines.

On 29 07 2015 Alexei A. Maradudin, (Was he a registered Engineer)

Research Professor of Physics,

Department of Physics and Astronomy, wrote to

Mr Douglas Noble,

Institute of Transportation Engineers ITE,

Washington, DC 20006,

The work that I and my fellow researchers, Denos Gazis and Robert Herman did on the yellow change interval time more than 50 years ago in 1959 was designed for straight through traffic only and at or above the speed limit. We did not allow for traffic approaching the junction at slower speed or turning left or right.

In 2005, I discovered while using VBOX, that the Highway Code stopping distance formula used in Ireland, the UK and USA is incorrect for 71 years since 1946 and is unknown as it has passed into history.

I was a Police Officer, not an Engineer. I am unable to discover the name of the person who wrote in 1946 the incorrect Highway Code stopping distance formula used in the USA in 2017, or if Alexei A. Maradudin who wrote the incorrect yellow light formula in 1959 was an Engineer as required by the ITE?

He described himself as; http://redlightrobber.com/red/links_pdf/Maradudin-to-ITE-2015.pdf

Research Professor, Physics & Astronomy

School of Physical Sciences

PH.D., University of Bristol, 1957

B.S. 1953, Stanford University

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon