Reply to post:

'I feel violated': Engineer who pointed out traffic signals flaw fined for 'unlicensed engineering'

jimdandy
Windows

I'll skip the rant about Engineering certification and licensing that this story fairly raves about. Where does "Sanitation Engineer" and "Custodial Engineer" fall on this spectrum of Engineering? I use those terms just to point out that calling someone an engineer does not mean they can "engineer" a product, a process, or even a piece of equipment.

Even with a degree, the title itself does not confer power or wisdom. As in any other field of endeavor, Engineering has a long history and tradition of getting things done. However, over the last 30 years that has become just a little bit different, especially in large organizations. What do you call an "engineer" who neither designs nor specs designs for or by a contractor? What do you call an engineer who never actually visits a job site wherein the product designs specified or approved by that engineer are being installed?

I'd like to call that person a deadbeat, but if that is all they have to do to meet the employer's requirements, then that would not be fair.

So I will just call them a Tool.

Funny, isn't it that a person who should be designing tools and equipment will end up being both a useless tool and a waste of company money and time.

With very few repercussions.

Oops, I said I'd skip that rant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon