Reply to post: Corporate IT problem solving after a Windows update

Microsoft cracks open patch mega-bundles for biz admins, will separate security, stability fixes

PickledAardvark

Corporate IT problem solving after a Windows update

In the old days, MS used to release a dozen individual patches each month. I despatched the updates to test devices -- test environments and to real users trying to get their jobs done. Some patches -- e.g. anything related to .NET framework -- were tested intensively. If something broke, I had to determine whether it was patch related or other change related. And with all of that testing, I still discovered problems on live PCs months later.

With the switch to two release bundles, testing (or the identification of a problem update) becomes easier; the security bundle or the improvement bundle broke something, or something else did it. My problem solving is also easier -- I won't release the bundle that broke things. Until I work things out.

Unfortunately, I have agreements with customers that I will provide them with Windows updates. I have signed contracts with financial trade bodies promising that my PCs fit their regulations. If I can't install an old fashioned individual fix, I can expect perseverance on their part. If I can't install a bundle -- and a later bundle won't install as a consequence -- I'm heading for trouble.

My software suppliers promise fixes if I have a problem; one of my suppliers is Microsoft and one of their hotfixes took 18 months with no guarantee that the fix changes would survive other security patches.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020