Reply to post: Re: Windows on the open internet

Script kiddies pwn 1000s of Windows boxes using leaked NSA hack tools

Kiwi

Re: Windows on the open internet

why shouldn't "consumers" hire a professional IT-technician to improve their home-network?

Why should they hire someone? They plug the device in, it connects to the internet and spits out wifi with nice easy default passwords. Easy! Nothing to do but turn it on, and put the password into your devices.

All you networking types make this stuff sound hard but you're all just talking bullshit. It's easy to create a secure network, and Telecom wouldn't be able to remain business if they were making things as insecure as you claim! You're full of it.

Yes. Actual discussion (roughly) I had with someone. At the time Telecom (now "Spark" - note the lack of the word "bright" in both the name and the techs) were giving out home routers with a) NO wifi passwords (ie completely insecure wireless) and NO security on the device. If I wanted to I could park outside someone's home, log in to their router, and change whatever I wanted (eg DNS servers....), and they would never know. Yet people could not be told they needed help.

(In all honesty I never once took the opportunity to point the systems of those I cared about to something that would make it damned obvious they were at threat (eg a page of my own design) and needed to ask someone to step in and sort things out - I never once did that, honest!)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon