Reply to post: History repeating

Why Firefox? Because not everybody is a web designer, silly

lglethal Silver badge
Thumb Up

History repeating

First there was Netscape, then IE was a little bit better (yes there was some dodgy Business stuff there as well - prepackaging, etc, but IE was a little better than Netscape), and Netscape died because it abused its position, didnt innovate and got caught out. Then IE was dominant, and abused it's position to such a degree that, now even if the new IE (or Edge as its called now as they want to try and get away from the old name) was fantastic, People are still loathe to go back. Burnt once, never forgotten.

Firefox, was for a long time the Champion, the competition to IE's dominant position. Now Chrome is in the dominant position and Held as the Champion. So far its a relatively benelovent dominatrix, but once it has full dominance, I expect it to abuse its Position no differently than IE did (you could say that blocking NoScript and ABP was already abusing its Position if you wanted to).

I'll stick with Firefox, it may not be the best anymore but I can still install NoScript, ABP and other add-ons to block the more nefarious tracking and ad slinging, and if that means I sacrifice a small amount of Performance, I'm willing to pay that price... just my two Cents...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon