Reply to post: Re: You boys and girls actually answer your phone?

Homes raided in North West over data thefts from car body repair shops

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: You boys and girls actually answer your phone?

- Do you answer your personal phone when an unknown or withheld number is calling?

Yes

- If so, why?

It could be anyone and might not be a spammer. Last "odd" incoming number I got was yesterday. It was the practice nurse from my GP calling on her mobile phone to book me in for a check-up. Call me old fashioned, but I feel it rude to allow a call to go to answer-phone if I am able to answer it. Of course, if it's a spammer I feel it my duty to answer their rudeness for cold calling me in the first place in kind!

- Do you check who the number belongs to (e.g., via Google search) before answering?

No, that takes even longer than ust answering the call and hanging up on spammers. And that's assuming I have instant internet access at the time (which my phone doesn't during a call)

Oh, and as an aside, my latest ruse with cold callers is to sound surprised when they say who they are calling on behalf of, tell them I also work for $company and that all staff phone numbers are supposed to be flagged as Do Not Call and I'll be contacting their manager to confirm the number has now been flagged. Oddly, that seems to be working judging by the drop in spam calls recently :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon