Reply to post: Doesn't go far enough

nbn™ gets its wish: Australian ISPs' performance to be rated

Magani
Unhappy

Doesn't go far enough

...that compel them to advertise typical internet speeds users will experience at peak times, rather than theoretical headline speeds.

How about a guaranteed minimum speed below which penalties apply to your ISP?

A few days ago, I went into my local ISP's store to get myself "upgraded" as my street has just become nbn-ready. I was offered an 'up-to-25Mbps' connection for my been-in-place-for-years HFC cabling. I asked why it was being downgraded and charged $10/month more, because I already get 'up to' 30Mbps[1]. In return, I got a lot of pseudo-techno-mumble from the PFY at the counter that seemed to totally ignore the question and instead revolve around 'We're just selling what they tell us to'. This was followed by 'The actual speed depends how many people in your street are using the Internet'.

WOW! I'd never thought of that.

</sarcasm>

He then suggested I could buy a Speed Upgrade to 100Mbps but seemed unable to explain how it could go faster if it was already maxxed out at 25.

YES!. Not happy, Jan!

[1] At 02:30 on alternate Wednesdays that coincide with the alignment of all major planets. Any random time that falls between about 16:30 and 22:30, it runs (HA!) at somewhere less than 4Mbps and occasionally just grinds to a .

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon