Reply to post: Re: "External investors" = "asset strippers"

Staff, projects shed as Ubuntu maker Canonical tries to lure investors

TVU Silver badge

Re: "External investors" = "asset strippers"

"A lot of activity that an business whose model relies on Open Source will generate no income. Investors are largely interested not in ideology but profitability. I am sad. Unity 8/convergence got a lot of hate, but was the product of people putting time, money and brains into something that benefits the community, There was never going to be any money in that and one man's pocket cant bank roll this forever."

Over the years, Canonical and Ubuntu have given a lot to Linux including publicity and providing a sound base for other successful distributions. It's unfortunate that their plans didn't work out although I thought that trying to take on the iOS/Android duopoly would not succeed (not even rich Redmond could ultimately crack that one).

Red Hat has shown that good money can be made from Linux and I hope that Canonical can now do that too. Mark Shuttleworth won't be abandoning open source for he's gone on record as saying "I want to emphasise our ongoing passion for, investment in, and commitment to, the Ubuntu desktop that millions rely on". It's just that it will be a modified Gnome desktop instead of a Unity desktop.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon