Reply to post:

Staff, projects shed as Ubuntu maker Canonical tries to lure investors

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

and Apple seems like it has no idea what to do with Macs anymore. This would be a good time to convince MacOS users to jump ship to Linux.

Err, hang on. First of all, I already use both macOS and Linux (go to any Linux convention and you'll see I'm not the only one using a Macbook) so it's not like I still need to "discover" Linux, but your assumption that Apple doesn't know what to do with Macs seems to gently skip over the fact that what they have right now is still selling quite nicely to a customer base which will continue to include me, for the following reason:

The Linux desktop *still* sucks. You don't need to follow the whole "Linux sucks" series to work out why, but it's still nowhere near even what Microsoft puts out (and that IS rubbish), let alone Mac. Add to that that I can load up very good commercial software (no, I said, "good" - that doesn't include Microsoft Office in my opinion but stuff like OmniGraffle and Affinity Designer) and I can't see anyone using a Mac switching to Linux soon for a desktop.

For a server, however, I wouldn't dream of using anything but Linux (well, OK, maybe a BSD variant). That is so much a standard it's almost boring by now, but in that sphere I don't even know anyone who uses macOS because Apple itself has switched focus to Linux as a server, at least if I judge this by the state of the macOS server add on (it's not exactly spectacular).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon