Reply to post: Re: "we have come to value ... Working software over comprehensive documentation"

Hundreds of millions 'wasted' on UK court digitisation scheme

Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "we have come to value ... Working software over comprehensive documentation"

Seems that, at this point in time, the UK Courts have neither.

Personally I think Agile or Waterfall make no difference if the project is not clearly defined and the steps to realizing said project not perfectly understood by everyone, from top managers to the underpaid code monkeys that hammer their keyboards.

It's time to stop thinking that we can implement country-wide IT projects without a year or two of high-level, expert study and preparation, followed by ruthless implementation of said project.

I'll always remember the best project manager I ever met - it was in an industrial tire-making plant. When we went to progress meetings, there was an agenda he had sent to the participants. Anything outside the agenda was mercilessly swatted aside with an imperious remark to the effect that that was not on the agenda. Any suggestion for additional functionality or unplanned functionality improvement was automatically put on the list for v1.1. And nobody dared complain.

End result ? Project delivered on spec, on cost and on time, with discussions for that famous v1.1 to happen later.

Greatest project I ever worked on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon