Reply to post: Re: How to leak information...unintentionally

Indian Business Machines? One-third of Big Blue staff based there and Bangladesh

streaky

Re: How to leak information...unintentionally

No the average management bod doesn't equate tech pay with quality of work. The look at people who do technical jobs like the person who empties the waste paper bin and cleans the toilets. Never mind the fact most of India's best tech people are probably working in the US and Europe already.

If I was dumb enough to be an IBM shareholder this stuff would bother me a great deal. But I'm not so..

IBM sales haven't grown because they're all about java, mainframes and patent exploitation - the first two are massively out of fashion, even in the classical places they did well. The patents they're creating have limited commercial value due to problems making the thing they're working on actually commercially viable. Millipede memory is the classic example, it was supposed to be the future of storage and they never saw flash coming which completely wiped out their ability to ever sell it and they had to write off all the investment they put in - and they couldn't really get it working right anyway.

The only thing IBM is renowned for being good at is AI and it's not exactly an area you can count on investment in. They obviously do a lot of business with governments but again, in times of tightening government IT budgets those sales can be extremely unreliable. The only time IBM ever got really crazy when they bought softlayer and all they've done with softlayer is pushed them to stuff they were already doing - as opposed to widening their business (and thereby sales) appeal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon