Reply to post: Re: Cheap VPN

So my ISP can now sell my browsing history – what can I do?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Cheap VPN

Yes... instructions/guide please.

Taking it a bit further, here's a (probably fairly standard) situation - home broadband, used by the whole family. Want to protect privacy for everybody but don't want to cripple internet user experience e.g. not get hit with geoblocking for online TV services - Netflix, Amazon etc. etc.

*Assuming* that a trusted provider can be found, can we set up a first VPS in our home country with routing set up so that (a) those TV services terminate there and get an IP address in our home country, and (b) everything else then gets routed via a second VPS (from a second provider) to a chosen "safe" country (e.g. Switzerland)? Then just set up the home router so that *all* traffic goes to the first VPS, and everything going via the home router is safe.

In that scenario, domestic ISP then sees only encrypted traffic to the first VPS. Assuming that the first VPS isn't compromised, the only info available to parties in the home country is online TV viewing habits. All other traffic then goes via VPS2 and terminates in a "safe" country.

Is that possible? Practical? Already being done?...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon