Reply to post: Re: Windows makes me scream too

Microsoft wants screaming Windows fans, not just users

Dazed and Confused

Re: Windows makes me scream too

> That is the only truth in your 'story'.

Why would I want to lie to you?

I've got 3 W10 boxes and my wife has 1.

Her laptop regularly moves all the desktop icons from the where they should be on the left of her main monitor and dumps them on the right of her laptop screen. It did it again last night, but it does it regularly. This machine updated itself to W10 without asking, it just did it one morning, just before a very important teleconference.

The laptop I'm writing this on was bought with W10 preinstalled. It won't install the 1607 update but tries every few days. I wish MS would agree to pay for the bandwidth it's eating. It will also not talk to my NAS box yet happy talks to Samba on one of my Linux servers. This is the only one of the W10 boxes which started at W10. The others were updates.

In my office I have 2 W10 boxes, both were updates. Neither will now print. They keep complaining that that they can't connect to the printers, yet if I point any of the web browsers at the printers they connect quite happily. If you prod the systems enough they complain they don't have the drivers. So I re-install the drivers and they still complain they don't have the drivers. Now I'm not the only person suffering thing problem, try Googling for it and if you're allergic to using Google trying Binging for it lots of people complain of exactly the same problem. The same is true to the problem with the fileserver access. One of these systems had the same problem with the fileserver, I tried setting a share up as a network drive and it now connects OK. On the laptop above the same trick worked once, but after the next update it stopped working.

> has been up for just over 4 months now! EXCEPT That damn forced restart.

Oh to sweet irony of it all

THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF MY COMMENT ABOUT UPTIME!

It's still unplanned down time if the OS decides to reboot while I'm in the middle of working whether it's a BSOD or whether the OS says I'm going down in 10mins with no option to say PISS OFF I'M BUSY.

> #mustbeamacfan

New round here are you?

The last time I worked on a Mac it was the original one, the one with a BW 9"ish screen.

I don't give a fly f*&^ what OS I run on a desktop, I just want it to work. I gave up being "interested" in desktop OSs when my old HP-UX workstation's power supply died about 20 years ago.

I run Linux on servers.

I do also have Linux latops, but there is a reason I have rather more Windows ones.

Oh and I currently print from W10 by saving as a PDF file, copying the files to one of my W7 boxes and printing from there. It's quite likely the two W10 boxes in the office will go back to W7 as that seems to work. Apparently I'm not allowed to call going from W10 to W7 an upgrade even if it does improve the functionality and stability.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon