Reply to post:

ICO fines Flybe, Honda for breaking data rules. They were, um, trying to comply with GDPR

Lee D Silver badge

Spam is pretty easy to filter.

If you're not already refusing non-CLI phone calls and using your mobile's blocklist features (you do have a modern smartphone right?), then the number you get is pitiful. Get the apps that automatically looks up those "who's calling" lists for any number you don't already know.

And then you just blacklist anyone who gets through those measures and tell them why.

If the only way you can sell to me is to phone me up at random, without permission, on the off-chance that I might want to buy whatever-it-is, at that exact moment, from that exact company only, then you're really dead in the water anyway and there's no way I'd want to do business with you.

I have to say, HP resellers - and HP themselves - are doing this to me at the moment. I wouldn't mind but there's literally not a single piece of HP hardware or software anywhere on the site, and hasn't been for over a decade.

Bother me once, I'll take your details, make no promises, let you send to my work email.

Bother me again, within six months or a year, no problem.

Bother me more than that, blacklist. And I'll tell you why.

Yeah, it's "just one email to check in" but multiplied by every business in the UK that might want to do business with me, that's a ludicrous amount of unnecessary emails.

Personal users, there's no excuse. Unless I've literally signed something saying yes, the answer is no.

My landline doesn't get answered, it just goes to voicemail.

My phone doesn't get answered if I don't know who you are, it doesn't even HAVE voicemail.

Both are on TPS.

My email I can just click Spam and that's the end of it.

Bother me past that, and I'll just blacklist your company forever in both walks of life, personal and professional.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon