Reply to post: Re: or stowed in the hold

Airplane bomb fears spark America's laptop, tablet carry-on ban

Peter X

Re: or stowed in the hold

where it can be lost, dropped, kicked around, stolen, found, thrown around a bit more

This bit was my immediate concern; when that lady's headphones exploded on a recent flight, I believe an article that covered it, mentioned another incident where a device's battery was crushed/punctured by - if my memory serves correctly - a seat mechanism being moved.

Regardless the cause, surely if people have to stuff these devices into baggage... particularly this week, when they might only be made aware of this requirement whilst in the airport, there's surely a *GREATER* risk that the batteries in these devices may be crushed/punctured, and potentially result in a fire/smoke related air crash?

If they *really* cared, if they *really* had intel. suggesting these devices could be disgused as a bomb or hacked/modified into a bomb, then surely the sensible thing to do is not allow any electronic device on board and *only* allow things such as USB flash drives/SD-cards to people to transfer data... albeit, I suppose you could argue they could use the internet for that!

This all smells like a Trump Theatre Production to me. Statistically, at least one plane will crash somewhere this year, and my money is on Trump tweeting some absolute BS about it immediately after, proving once again (to his supporters), what a great** president he is.

** (leans closer to the mike)... NOPE.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon