Reply to post: Re: Adrian 4 extreme

Force employees to take DNA tests for bosses? We've got a new law to make that happen, beam House Republicans

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Adrian 4 extreme

> [ ... ]I have car insurance despite having no intention of getting into an accudent.

Just like you have no intention of getting into an accident, someone else has no intention whatsoever of developing diabetes, or Parkinson's disease, or cancer.

While it is entirely possible that you can drive a car for your entire life without ever getting into an accident, it is statistically impossible to live without becoming sick., at some point.

The difference being that you also have the choice not to drive a car. Don't buy or lease a car, no vehicle insurance required. No such choice exists in aging and becoming ill.

Do we really have to re-litigate this argument about the difference between commodity insurance - i.e. vehicle insurance - and health insurance?

Health insurance companies are perfectly capable today of assessing health risks, today. Give me one concrete example of a US health insurance company that has filed for bankruptcy because they have under-estimated the average health risks of their subscribers' risk pools. Last I checked, all health insurance companies in the US were for-profit corporations, and were eminently profitable.

This sudden need for coercing employees into handing over their genome is nothing more than excessive greed disguised as an actuarial optimisation exercise. These companies are some of the major donors paying for the GOP's re-election campaigns. They get a nice fascist law on the books in return. Quid pro quo.

For our British friends: GOP == Grand Old Party. The chest-thumping official name of the US Republican Party.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon