Reply to post: Re: Cable speed in Germany

Germany to roll out €100bn gigabit internet network

big_D Silver badge

Re: Cable speed in Germany

I thought Germany had dropped analogue years ago. Certainly terrestrial TV switched to digital in 2008 and satellite has been digital since around 2004. DVB-S2 has been the mainstay for several years now, for satellite, and DVB-T will be switched off at the end of the month, being replaced by DVB-T2. We have DAB+ in the cars and in the kitchen, but analogue FM is still widely used here. That hasn't caught on as well - mainly because few car manufacturers offer DAB as standard in their cars, I think.

No idea what cable companies use, I've never had cable. But my youngest daughter has Kabel Deutschland in her flat and that is DVB-C (digital), which the TV receives without the need for a set-top box. But she uses EWE-Tel for her broadband, which is a 50mbps DSL connection. Whether Kabel Deutschland also push analogue alongside the digital, I don't know.

We use satellite (DVB-S2) and normal broadband (Osnatel). In fact, in the UK I used to have Sky, but since moving to Germany, I've never had any subscription TV service, just the freeview channels. With around 70 channels, I've never seen the need for a subscription. Now, with Amazon Prime, I get a lot of films and series to watch as well.

Flensburg is about 400KM from here (Osnabrückerland).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon