Reply to post: HDMI 2.1 will be in TVs next year

Shopping for PCs? Ding, dong, the Dock is dead in 2017's new models

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

HDMI 2.1 will be in TVs next year

It will be published in a couple months. HDMI 2.1 is required for 120 fps 4K, which LG has already demonstrated last fall and almost certainly will be present on their 2018 OLED product line.

I personally wouldn't buy a 4K TV without 4Kp120 support, doing so would be as dumb as all the early adopter idiots who bought 4K TVs that didn't support HDCP 2.2 and now find they can't watch any 4K programming from cable/satellite providers. ESPN has gone on record saying they feel a higher frame rate (currently they broadcast 720p60 in the US) is more important for sports than higher resolution, so they will probably be an early adopter of this. In fact, given their conspicuous lack of any 4K channel at all yet, I wonder if they may launch at 4Kp120 on day one, and leave it up to providers to downgrade the signal to 4Kp60 for viewers who don't have proper equipment.

If Thunderbolt 3 ports at 40 Gbps can be cost effectively added to laptops, I don't see why HDMI 2.1 ports at 48 Gbps should be a problem.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon