Reply to post: Re: For all we know...

Facebook shopped BBC hacks to National Crime Agency over child abuse images probe

Ben Tasker

Re: For all we know...

> Call me cynical - fake news has been cited by the more Liberal side of the media as the reason recent big votes went the way they did. One of the portals frequently blamed is FB. Is it beyond the realm of possibilities that certain unsavoury stories would be "investigated" to deligitimise said portals?

You're cynical. In fact, you almost sound like you've had a bump on the head.

Leaving your view of the BBC's motivations aside for a second, ask yourself this:

Is it plausible and reasonable to think that some might be sharing indecent images in "private" facebook groups? Bearing in mind most of the images are probably rendered indecent by the context rather than actually being that explicit when viewed on their own.

Now, what seems more plausible - that someone at the BBC risked life and liberty (cos you will be jailed if caught) to both procure and then publish the images, purely to discredit a company that does a good job of discrediting itself,

or that a bunch of... ahem... interested people shared some fairly risque (but not necessarily outright illegal, at a glance) images, and that Facebook's moderation & review mechanism happens to be shite, or more likely, based on a different set of law to what needs to be observed here in blighty?

See, I'm more inclined to think that whilst option 1 isn't impossible, it's far, far, far less likely to be the truth than option 2. and I find it hard to believe that anyone could reasonably think it's more likely, especially given that if it triggers an investigation, it wouldn't take long for the investigators to piece together the messy trail the average journalist would leave when they believe they're anonymous.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon