Reply to post: Standard DRM = crack once use forever

Sir Tim Berners-Lee refuses to be King Canute, approves DRM as Web standard

CheesyTheClown

Standard DRM = crack once use forever

This is a good thing. Imagine you buy a phone or a tablet and it reaches end of support. This device sold and marketed a device capable of playing standard DRM content might end up black listed because someone else found a method of cracking DRM using that device. Since updates are not available, whoever blacklisted that device can be held liable and sued for their actions.

Consider that browser based DRM is simply not possible.

A plugable module is code which requires standardization of an API. The API will be well understood and will not be restricted. So you write a small loader app and then based on entry points, issue your own keys and decide some of your own streams and find out where the keys are held.

The DRM must be extremely lightweight otherwise batteries will drain to quickly. One could write the DRM using JavaScript which would be smartest and with instruction level vectorization a part of WebAssembly, it could be quick. But it would consume far more power than a hardware solution. So DRM in code would have to be limited more to rights and providing decryption keys for AES or EC. And if the keys can be transferred at all, they can be cracked.

The media player pipeline in Mozilla and Chrome are well understood. The media player pipeline in Windows is designed to be hooked and debugged. There is absolutely no possible way to DRM video on Windows, Linux or Mac that can't be intercepted after decryption. As for Android, unless the DRM blacklists pretty much every Android device ever made, it can't work.

So... good luck trying... I actually buy all my films, but I decrypt them so I can still watch them even if the DRM kills. I lost tons of money buying audiobooks on iTunes which could only be downloaded once. I won't ever buy media I can't decrypt again. I'll join the race to see who can permanently crack the DRM fastest.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon