Reply to post: Re: We'd have plenty of IPs

One IP address, multiple SSL sites? Beating the great IPv4 squeeze

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: We'd have plenty of IPs

No I dont know every command (who does) but you can be damned certain that for any tech I use in production I have more than basic knowledge like this article.

I support one of the biggest websites in the UK, pretty much single handedly (its me and a dev) as well as countless other sites where im in a similar situation.

Its easy to say you don't have the time or luxury to properly learn something, but its entirely different when you don't have the luxury of trawling google for solutions.

Its not snobby to expect your peers to work to a good standard. I personally build things with my peers in mind. I won't be at my clients forever someone at some point will have to take over, I therefore have to assume a certain baseline of knowledge and experience. I like to assume that anyone taking over from me is likely to better and more knowledgable than I am, rather than crapper and dumber than I am.

If we as an industry constsntly assume that our proteges are less knowledgable and document / build with this in mind we will drive the quality of our successors down as they wont have to be as smart or knowledgable.

I talk to all engineers as engineers, I dont talk to engineers as if whatever they're being handed is the first work they've ever done.

Think about how absurd it would be if other types of professionals overused Google.

A pro golfer googling which club to use for his next shot.

A builder googling how to build a wall.

A high end chef googling recipes.

A pilot googling how to get the landing gear down.

...a network tech googling how to set up a simple reverse proxy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon