Reply to post: Re: Ready for the down votes, but...

Prisoners' 'innovative' anti-IMSI catcher defence was ... er, tinfoil


Re: Ready for the down votes, but...

OK I'll bite...

If only metal shielding stops radio waves can you explain the tremendous amount of Wi-Fi extenders/repeaters on sale?

Prisons tend to have very thick walls and very small windows.

My home femtocell can't get 20 yards past my 9" cavity wall.

Do you really think I would suggest it was done without a site survey!? And 80% coverage means you only need to check the other 20% of cells reducing the burden on staff.

But hey it's only a tech site so let us go with, "I can't see it working so there can be no possible way to implement it!" How very inventive and open minded.

FYI - There were some cheap illegally imported Chinese jammers 10 years ago with a line of site radius of about a 20 yards.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

  • Enter your comment

  • Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon


Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020